Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Artwork - The Joker


At the beginning of the year, one of my resolutions was to do 1 piece of completed art a month.  Admittedly, I didn't really get started on it until April.  But the two pieces I did, one being this Joker piece, and the other being a gigantic Rockabilly Zombie movie poster illustration (that's now on permanent display at The Monterey Club in Fort Lauderdale), more than make up for it.  That being said, this is the first blog post in which I'm going to post about the process of creating my artwork, starting with the Joker piece.

Note: You can click any of the thumbnails for a larger version of that picture.

(More after the jump.)





I started off by talking with Charli, the client, about what she wanted.  Her friend's birthday was coming up, and she was looking for an illustration of The Joker.  She emailed me some pictures that she found online, and I sent some back to her. After that, I did a couple of roughs, to show her what my idea was for it.  Admittedly, I hate these roughs.

Photobucket

Photobucket

After she gave me the okay, I started out by penciling the piece.  I used a hot press illustration board.  I took pictures of my hand to use as a reference for his hand, 'cause I just couldn't get the damn thing exactly right.

Photobucket

Photobucket

After I had all the pencil work and most of she shading down, I started to ink it.  I used a combination of black pigma ink Micron pens, along with Speedball Super Black India and Scarlet Red pigmented acrylic inks, as well as a (not as good) green pigmented ink from another brand, whose bottle I can't find, whose bottle probably got thrown into space.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

After I laid down about 98% of the blacks, I started adding color. I used an ink wash technique for the color application. The Speedball inks came out beautifully, especially the red of The Joker's lips, but the green did not come out as good.  It just looked cheaper and not as rich as the red.  I applied another coat, to make it stand out a bit more, and that helped.

Photobucket

For the background, I used another older ink that I found, to give it a grittier feel.  I just wish it had come out a bit more smooth.

Photobucket

I started adding some more shading to his face, specifically around his eyes and his temples.  Again, I used photo reference to try and make it look as realistic as I could get it.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The last part that I inked was the playing card.  I had worked on a couple of different variations of the design of the card, and decided to go with a more simplified card illustration, instead of an old school jester drawing.  The piece was intended to be mostly black and white, with just splashes of color (hence the grey suit), but, in the end, I wish I would have done it in full color.  Ah well, there's always next time.

Here's the completely finished piece:

Photobucket

I'm gonna post a daily posts for future projects.  I'm going to be working on two pieces for a show that's coming up in July, so check back for more art posts.  Thanks for stopping by, and let me know what you think in the comments section!

Ian

P.S. - Oh yeah.  Here's a picture of Charli, cheesin' like a madwoman, when she finally got it.

No comments:

Post a Comment